If the pandemic has taught us one thing it’s that the quality of our life is within our hands. To live a life of vitality and well-being is a choice that we make on a daily basis.
The foods we eat, the environmental pollutants we’re exposed to and the emotional stress we experience can take us down an unwanted path. Our body craves balance, and it’s our job to give it what it needs. Rejuvenation is the essence of healing and we’ve rounded up the top five ways that you can get back on track.
- Improving your digestion and optimizing how your gut breaks down food and absorbs vitamins is a great place to start. Start by cutting out processed foods, limiting sugar filled snacks and taking a probiotic so that the healthy choices you’re making are absorbed by your body.
- If you’re having stomach issues, you most likely are also having trouble with your sleep. Believe it or not melatonin is produced in our brain and gut. Working on sleep hygiene will in turn improve gut function leading to better rest and recovery as well as improved processing of nutrients from food. Spend the last 30 minutes of your day off your phone to help your mind unwind so it can achieve a deeper sleep.
- Helping your body detoxify from all the products we’re exposed to is crucial. Toxins build up in our system and can leave them burdened. One of the best ways to detox is through sweating. A good workout or quick sauna blanket session are quick and easy ways to release the toxins our body is looking to get rid of.
- Daily exposure to natural sunlight is important, it’s thought to trigger the release of serotonin, a hormone believed to stabilize and boost our mood, feelings of well-being, and happiness. Healthy amount of exposure to sunlight can also help with Vitamin D production which improves bone, skin and hormone function. Red Light Therapy can be an effective way to boost and help treat seasonal depressive disorders, formerly known as seasonal affective disorder (SAD), which can occur from limited exposure to sunlight.
- Daily meditation can improve work concentration and emotional stability. Taking a couple of minutes every day to disconnect can help redirect your thoughts to calm your mind, which will help improve the quality of your life. Whether you sit outside in nature, or take 5 minutes tuning into a meditation app, the sense of calm and mindfulness will continue to grow the more time practiced.
The elixir we are all looking for is in our own hands, the capacity to heal is something we all possess. We just need to build healthy daily habits that allow us to prioritise our health and improve our wellness.